Advantages of Java
- Java offers higher cross- functionality and portability as programs written in one platform can run across desktops, mobiles, embedded systems.
- Java is free, simple, object-oriented, distributed, supports multithreading and offers multimedia and network support.
- Java is a mature language, therefore more stable and predictable. The Java Class Library enables cross-platform development.
- Being highly popular at enterprise, embedded and network level, Java has a large active user community and support available.
- Unlike C and C++, Java programs are compiled independent of platform in bytecode language which allows the same program to run on any machine that has a JVM installed.
- Java has powerful development tools like Eclipse SDK and NetBeans which have debugging capability and offer integrated development environment.
- Increasing language diversity, evidenced by compatibility of Java with Scala, Groovy, JRuby, and Clojure.
- Relatively seamless forward compatibility from one version to the next
In conclusion, almost 20 years after its inception, Java continues to deliver considerable value to the world of software development.